I’ve known for a long time of the VAST ranging benefits of wheatgrass but only recently realised just how easy it is to actually grow it yourself! I planted my seeds just a few days ago and WOW, what a difference a sunny day makes! We finally got some sunshine in North East England and these gorgeous wheatgrass seedlings decided to pop out!!
Wheatgrass Juice is known by many as ‘liquid sunshine’. It’s one of the best sources of living chlorophyll (Wheatgrass juice contains up to 70% chlorophyll) fresh from the living plant. The list of benefits of wheatgrass seems endless, so I’ve condensed it down to 15 as best I can to try and highlight just how amazing this plant is..… here goes…
1. Wheatgrass juice is an effective healer because it contains all minerals known to woman, and vitamins A, B-complex, C, E, l and K. It is extremely rich in protein, and contains 17 amino acids, the building blocks of protein.
2. The Chlorophyll in wheatgrass contains magnesium which is an important blood builder. It has an almost identical chemical structure to human haemoglobin and helps to strengthen red blood cells thus vastly improving the flow of oxygen through the body. Improving the quantity of oxygen in the body improves just about every aspect of every system within the body.
3.The Chlorophyll in wheatgrass is an anti bacterial and an anti microbial making it great for helping prevent tooth decay, easing a sore throat and as an aid for the common cold.
4. B complex vitamins thiamine and riboflavin keep the mucus lining in the digestive tract healthy, thus aiding digestion.
5. Chlorophyll neutralizes toxins in the body. It can remove heavy metals from the body.
6. Chlorophyll helps to cleanse the liver. It could even protect against the damaging effects of alcohol.
7. The anti-oxidant properties and enzymes of chlorophyll can help repair DNA damage caused by free radicals and thus benefits of wheatgrass include the slowing down of the detrimental effects of aging.
8. Wheatgrass acts as an anti-cancer agent partly due to its oxygenating ability which reduces damaging free radicals.
9. As with all fresh juices, wheatgrass juice is especially good for athletes because it can be assimilated in 20 minutes or less, using very little of the body’s energy to extract the nutrients. The additional oxygen in the body also assists athletes in strength and endurance activities.
10. Gargling with wheatgrass juice helps heal a sore throat.
11. One of the big benefits of wheatgrass juice is its ability to cleanse the skin. Taking a bath with wheatgrass juice poured into the bath water ensures the nutrients are absorbed through the skin. Rinse the skin with clean cold water afterwards to ensure the chlorophyll doesn’t stain. These baths can ease itching, help acne to heal and can help eliminate dandruff if the juice is massaged gently into the scalp.
12. The anti inflammatory properties of wheatgrass can reduce the pain associated with inflammatory diseases such as arthritis and IBS.
13. Wheatgrass juice held in the mouth for 5 minutes can help eliminate toothaches. It pulls toxins from the gums to keep them clean.
14. Wheatgrass juice can be drunk for skin problems such as acne, eczema or psoriasis.
15. The antiseptic benefits of chlorophyll have been shown to heal a whole host of minor infections and neutralize bad body odour.
Join Tonja and I on one of our seaside juicing weekends when you’ll get to try out the amazing home grown, freshly juiced wonder drug!